Peter Creswick wrote:

You may be on the right track there Michael. It may well be that under reporting is the real bottom line issue here. Perhaps glider pilots in general are (for legal, pride and / or peer ridicule reasons) unwilling to be forthcoming with incident reports in the first place, unless something actually gets bent, broken, or hurt, such that it can't be hidden. We have no idea (since the GFA will not tell us) how many incident / accident reports they get each year. It may be, that there are so few reports, that, that in itself, is the big secret. If so, that is a real worry.

I think you are spot on here Peter.

I suggest you listen out in the bar of your club (and any clubs you visit) and see how many unreported incidents you hear about. I would also suggest that accidents such as heavy landings are also under reported. There is damage (which makes it an accident), but it is minimal and is only noticed when the cumulative effect becomes obvious.

We - glider pilots - are not under reporting and are breaking our gliders, injuring and killing ourselves as a direct result of us not being able to learn from what is going wrong and not only avoid the mistakes of others but, more importantly, FIX THE SYSTEM that allows the same sort of accident to keep occurring.

Just as an indication of how poor the reporting system actually is, as an instructor under training a few years ago there was no mention whatsoever of accident incident reporting.

We are changing this at our club and there are moves afoot to change this across the state. For the full benefit, the change needs to be system wide though.

--
Robert Hart                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533                        http://www.hart.wattle.id.au