>-----Original Message-----
>From: mark king

(I started writing this last night but then Saw Mark Ns reply this
morning, so it is a bit of a hodge podge, sorry)

Mark (King) has made some interesting and far ranging points on gliding
and its future. I am only going to dip into a few of them (cos it is a
huge area) and encourage others to add their two bobs worth.
I also direct Mark (and others) to this page on the DG website.
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/zukunft-segelflug-e.html

Especially the bit right down the bottom by John Roake.

>I posted some thoughts on the future of gliding a week or so
>ago and have been a little surprised at the low number of

I didn't take them as hostile, only as rather resigned. What they wrote
seems to me to ring true. In decades of gliding in Australia a number of
commercial operations have been set up, they don't seem to survive.

another one came today
>quoting a favourable USA experience with a commercial
>operation and its convenience and cost versus a club operation

Actually if you talk to Mark Newton (one of the respondents earlier)
about his experience with commercial operations in the US you might
actually get some positive views. But I also know of a multi thousand
hour pilot from Australia who was basically milked for "check rides"
from those same sorts of operations.

>and there was one offline email that was very supportive of
>new ideas being put up for comment.
>
>Does this mean my post was too long, boring or not relevant or
>just silly. Who knows as relatively few have commented? Anyway
>after going back and reading the GFA Business Plan, other info
>on the GFA site and the last 2 Soaring mags I thought I would
>come at the issue of no growth in GFA membership from another angle

It was long, but not boring to some of us. However, a lot of this stuff
has been done before and gone over before (Mark N also highlights the
"apathy" of those old timers who have done it and now like me [although
I'm not _that_ old] just want to spend some time doing our own things.)

>One recent article in the magazine asks the question re is
>there a large pool of pilots out there current and possible
>who want to fly for recreational purposes as distinct from
>competition or long distance flights?

My view has always been that the vast majority of glider pilots are
happy to potter around the airfield. That's why I've been a bit
vociferous here in SA about requirements for independant operator and
such like (which have been recently reformed, but probably not far
enough).

>What I am suggesting is that if GFA is to significantly grow
>the glider pilot market it needs to do a lot more then provide
>some assistance to clubs. I am saying it needs to be out there
>leading the way, doing the work itself on the frontline of
>gaining members. To do that you need additional funding and I
>suggest a front line "shopfront" to put gliding on the
>public's map of cool things to do.
>
>GFA could either set up one or more social enterprises to fund
>worthwhile activities to increase memberships or it could combine the
>2 eg run a centre that makes money and attracts new members.
>
>Now before anyone flames me and tells me this would send GFA
>broke I would ask that people take the blinkers off and let
>all the ideas flow freely if they are really interested in
>making gliding a growth sport.

No, I agree, let all ideas flow. I am just a little afraid that the
ideas we have now are ones that have been tried before, didn't work then
and were forgotten about. I am sure people like Emilis P (for example)
could chip in here and talk about the club development folder of the
early 90s (?). But, truly, I would like to see new and/or novel ideas
thrown into the ring.

 How
>come glider activity is far higher per head of population in
>some European nations despite the far poorer weather and ATC issues?

But in _all_ cases are declining (see John Roakes table). How come?

>I don't have the answers as to what type of social enterprises
>GFA should develop but nor did we 3 years ago when we decided
>to go for growth but after working it through with some
>skilled people we did come up with the initial ideas and
>plans.  We made mistakes, some ideas failed, some really
>worked, the point is you decide you want to grow and then
>develop real strategies to achieve growth.

So what social enterprises did your organisation develop, can you expand
on this? Maybe some of the more lateral thinkers here could see a link
with gliding (ie give us a case study).

>I would love to see the GFA leading a dynamic and growing
>glider movement but I can't see that happening with the
>current strategies. Comments?
>
>Mark

I actually agree with this statement, I can't see any (real) growth on
the horizon. But the problems go deep into gliding and are not just "the
GFA". In fact, as the world decline in gliding might show, the activity
of "gliding" _itself_ may be fundamentally limited in some way.

Regards
SWK

PS Mark K. Dont take these comments as critical of you or your ideas. We
all want a growth in gliding as a sport. Just that some ideas _have_
been done (sometimes repeatedly) before.