There seems to be a view held by some that competitions only serve the
pilots competing.

I also used to have this view since it was put by people I thought
should know what they were talking about, but I know now it was naïve
and shortsighted.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In exactly the same way that local footy clubs would find it harder to
recruit new members, most of whom would only ever be recreational
players with no chance of getting into the AFL, if the AFL didn't exist.

Or we should abandon the Olympics because the chance of anyone actually
getting to that level of competition is about zero.

Young people see professionals sports people at elite competitions and
want to get involved even though few will ever achieve that level. It
doesn't matter.

It also acts to improve the standards and technology, to the benefit of
all members. Especially when you see people like Paul Mander, Bruce
Taylor, etc spending significant amount of time putting the skills they
have aquired at competitions back into the grass roots membership via
coaching.

It also helps hosting clubs to generate enthusiasm to improve facilities
and earn some money, again to the benefit of the regular members.

The 1974 World Comps at Waikerie created huge interest in gliding in
Australia at the time, the peak of the GFA membership and clubs, large
numbers of gliders imported into Australia, which benefited ALL the
'recreational' pilots for many years to come, not just the 50 odd pilots
who competed.

The future of gliding in Australia if the effective marketting and
promotion of the sport through the wider population, and the development
of clubs and other facilities to deliver on the new members expectations
when they turn up to give it a try.

Competitions or 'sport' is just one element of marketting our sport
which allows it to become visable to the wider population and of
interest to potential new members.

Cheers

David