I have sucessfully tested in XCSoar, driving a mobile phone via
bluetooth to send and receive SMS messages.  This works fine.

The catch:

CDMA, which is really most useful for longer distance glider flights, is
being phased out by Telstra and the 3G technology is NOT nearly as good
in remote areas.

I did my testing with GSM mobile phones.

Anyhoo, it's doable.

John Wharington