To: <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:43 PM
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] Gliding Trivia

>From: "Christopher Mc Donnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

1. The first two men to set foot on French soil on D Day (though they landed on their heads through a barbed wire fence (as ordered)) were glider pilots.
2. The first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong was a glider pilot.
3. The first gliding record (post 1903) was set by the Wright Brothers (duration). 4. Most heavy cargo aircraft today are developments of cargo glider concepts.

I'll go along with 2 and 3 - and add that I understand Orville personally signed "C" certificates well into the 30s as the US FAI rep.

I thought 1 were the frogmen who landed in the night and cut barbed wire. What time did the gliders land?

I'm puzzled by 4. Which ones did you have in mind Chris? Swing noses? Folding ramps?

Graeme Cant