All

Gus is still wrangling with getting the Help pages migrated across from Mediawiki's main site. I'm trying to lend a hand as time permits - I worked mainly on an earlier version of the software that did things a little differently to the way it's done right now. Hopefully this will be resolved in less than a week. In the meantime, look at the Help link on the left hand side of http://en.wikipedia.org/ to get some guidance.

One of the VERY IMPORTANT things is to understand how a Wiki is supposed to work in order to extract maximum benefit out of it.

Wiki contributors write Articles, and then they are added to Categories by putting appropriate [[Category:category-name-here]] tags at the (normally) end of the article.

Categories automatically "collect" articles. Apart from a brief bit of introductory text, there's nothing more to add.

So, if I was writing an article about my local club, Southern Cross Gliding Club in Camden, NSW, I might add some tags at the bottom of the article to include it in Australian Gliding Clubs and NSW Gliding Clubs categories.

In fact, that's just what I did.

See

http://www.ausgliding.com/wiki/index.php/Southern_Cross_Gliding_Club

and notice the links to two Categories at the bottom of the page.

You might also notice that there's a link to Camden Airport and in my web browser (Internet Explorer 6) it appears as having red text for the hyperlink (or some other shade if you're colourblind like my dad !). That means no article currently exists - articles which do exist appear to have blue links to me. If you follow the red link you can then edit the article, thus creating a brand new one. That's one of the neat things with wikis. People can add links to articles they'd like to see written, but perhaps don't have the time, or would like to do it later on (or even right after finishing the current article). This is as simple as putting a word or phrase inside a pair of double square brackets e.g. [[Camden Airport]] create the link mentioned in this paragraph.

If you also click on the Recent Changes link on the left hand side of the page, you will notice that the Southern Cross Gliding Club article, and its categories, have been recently added/edited by me.

I'll try to keep an eye on new articles that appear on the Wiki and provide guidance as appropriate, or simply "wikify" them bit by bit.

Cheers

Jason