Hi John,

I can't help you with the replacement instrument, but I can give you my
impression of the zero error.

As I understand it, zero errors appearing over time in mechanical varios
is due to minute changes in the mass of the paint on the needle over
long periods of time.  The needle basically gets lighter as remaining
volatile elements of the paint gradually escape.

I agree with Independent Instruments that a hairspring would not
normally be used to correct this zero offset error, what would be
required is adjustment to the counterbalance on the other side of the
needle.  Otherwise you would have the needle affected by acceleration
(e.g. it would read too high or too low when circling).

Before you throw out the vario, try checking the installed system for
leaks, as it is possible that the vario wasn't sealed or the baffles
were damaged during the repair; and it is also possible that the old
tubing used to connect it to the static source may have hardened over
time and will not seal now.  If I were you, I would cut an inch off the
static tube and try that.

Disclaimer: I'm an aerospace engineer, not an instrument technician.

John Wharington