Wondered when you would arrive Mike?
Good to hear from you.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Borgelt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 1:32 PM
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Re: Dumb rules

At 10:01 AM 5/06/2006, you wrote:

So there'll need to be a regulatory change.  People don't need to be
members of clubs with committees and CFIs to fly Cessnas, perhaps they
don't need to be to fly gliders either.

Should have been done long ago. This has already resulted in the demise or non flying status of a number of gliding clubs and makes gliding in the remoter areas nearly impossible even when someone gets a self launcher. One guy in a remoter part of Queensland bought a self launcher but was told to go and fly it out of Narromine. He did have a PPL and a cessna 182 too. Strange behaviour from an organisation set up to promote gliding.

Mostly these people join RAAus, buy an aircraft and forget about gliding.

To quote the President of our local EAA Chapter (who flys a RAAus registered Corby Starlet) " Went out the local gliding club one Sunday morning recently at around 10am and ran into a bloke who in response to "this gliding's great fun isn't it" replied "yes but its 10am and we aren't going to start flying for quite a while yet" - then saw the Corby, asked about it and disappeared in search of an RAAus school in his Audi."

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784