At 09:52 PM 27/06/2006, you wrote:
Hi,
I'm back on aus-soaring after a few years break.
I am at my wit's end with my Dittel radio.
It receives perfectly loud and clear, from near and far.
I can hear others who can't hear each other.
But when I transmit, the reception by others is variable.
For example, same transmission received "4" from 60km away, and faint and garbled 5 km away in two different gliders.
I have replaced the microphone in the boom (no change).
Checked voltages at radio during transmission (OK).
New Panasonic batteries (no change).
Sent radio to technician at Archerfield (working perfectly).
Any suggestions/help would be gratefully received?
Cheers and Happy Soaring,
R.
Richard Hoskings
Darling Downs Soaring Club
ph   (07) 3377 6700  fax  (07) 3377 6701  m 0418 745 824
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard,

The advice to check SWR is good. You may have a problem with your coax or the terminations at the radio end. The glider doesn't have a tail tank does it? Some gliders(Nimbus 3DM and N4DM at least) have a neat arrangement where the tail tank empties on to the coax join to the antenna in the rudder as the fin is carbon. This causes the coax to fill with water and stop working properly. Can be prevented by wrapping the connector in glue lined heat shrink when new but I guess this is just too expensive to incorporate in a A$350,000 glider. It must add a good fraction of a dollar to the cost.

I have also seen improperly terminated coax at the radio end. It is not at all obvious how to assemble a BNC coax connector properly and you should always use the assembly diagram.

Are you sure the problem is with your radio and not with the radios in the other gliders?

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784