Richard Neale wrote:

2. Does anybody know of an optometrist (optical dispenser) in Sydney who has any knowledge of or experience in sunglasses for aviation? I have visited several national chains, and they either don’t carry Zeiss lenses at all, or have no ability to advise as to the suitability of the lenses. (I’d really like to have a look at some samples, and to carry them out into the sun…)

Blatant advertising!!! Me.

. I fly at Narromine and have used both polarised and Skylet sunglasses. Skylets and Skypol are available in prescription and non prescription sunnies and should be available from any optometrist who has an account with Zeiss. My personal preference is for the polarised lenses. I haven't had any problems with the canopies in the club fleet, but there are some LCD displays that can cancel out at a particular viewing angle. This can be fixed by altering the alignment slightly but you should check your particular instrumentation wearing a cheap pair of polaroids before you lash out on the Skypols. Canopies that are under stress would show the colour bands at the stressed points but this doesn't seem to be a problem with any that I've encountered. You probably have an optometrist in your own club who will look after your optical needs, just ask around. If not, I'm available when I'm not travelling up to Narromine and back.
Graeme Thompson at Thompson Larter & Associates in Pennant Hills.