I think it will happen one day - I think it is inevitable. But I also think it is 20 years away. That might be pessimistic, but in other ways it is also very optimistic :-)

FLARM has not been around long enough to have statistics to prove the safety - therefore it is all predictions. It is a shame but that is the way of life - we have to make a guess (albeit educated) then get the stats.

However - it is statistics that show that most inflight glider accidents are glider to glider - not other aircraft.

But we really need to squash this myth that you must have all aircraft with them before there is increased safety. I am not sure how that started but it is HIGHLY incorrect ! By all account it makes no sense, statistically or logically. Every extra aircraft to have a FLARM (flying in the same area of course) increases safety. Having all would of course be a dream come true - but don't hold your breath. Some gliders still don't carry radio and we know that adds to safety. We will have aircraft in the skys for a long time without a common collision avoidance - but it will be within most of our lives that I think we will see that change :-)

Scott