and about the same as "Kookaburra Precision soaring" patch....

On 18/01/2007, at 10:28 PM, Patching wrote:

Oh god I luuuuve the notion of the "Super Blanik". Is that the same as, "military intelligence" and "containment lines"
Ian P
Kookaburra Precision Soaring Team
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chad Nowak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] NASA, a Super Blanik and Dynamic Soaring

The amount and size the rotor on the lee side depends on the shape of the ridge and precise wind direction. I have sometimes noticed basically no rotor on the lee side. At the DS site at withcott we land our gliders on the lee side as it is the only possible place to land and the air is quite smooth. If the ridge is steep on both sides and sharp at the top the totor can be quite tame. In some cases the rotor will push the air back up the ridge on the lee side. Basically, the air is going in opposite directions in either side of the ridge but not as fast on the lee side. This type of rotor can be used to extract even more energy at the bottom part of the curcuit just you would from the top.