I dont think there was a glider on tow. It isnt mentioned at all, and if there had been, surely it would have hit the aircraft in question.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Video of power aircraft having a mid air with aglider tow rope

Hi

I've just come across the following...

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTemKnL8X30

which is pretty amazing.

It illustrates a point about the poor visibility from inside high wing monoplanes and tug planes. I don't think that the power aircraft could have seen the incoming tug/glider combination but I am surprised that both the tug and glider pilots did not see the conflicting traffic.

It's a good illustration of the point I make to students that they *cannot* concentrate just on looking at the tug - but that more general lookout *has* to be maintained.

The accident could have been much worse if instead of snagging the tow rope, the power traffic had hit either the tug or the glider.

--
Robert Hart                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au