What happened to the tug and glider?

-Cath

On 22/01/2007, at 11:34 AM, Mike Borgelt wrote:

At 09:17 AM 22/01/2007, you wrote:
Hi

I've just come across the following...

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTemKnL8X30

which is pretty amazing.

It illustrates a point about the poor visibility from inside high wing monoplanes and tug planes. I don't think that the power aircraft could have seen the incoming tug/glider combination but I am surprised that both the tug and glider pilots did not see the conflicting traffic.

It's a good illustration of the point I make to students that they *cannot* concentrate just on looking at the tug - but that more general lookout *has* to be maintained.

The accident could have been much worse if instead of snagging the tow rope, the power traffic had hit either the tug or the glider.

--
Robert Hart                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533 http:// www.hart.wattle.id.au

Looks like the towplane was climbing quite steeply. I'd have throught that the high wing of the ultralight wouldn't get in the way.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784