>It feels to me like the human appendix - no residual purpose remains for it to
>be here..

On the contrary!

Having an appendix is a way to train pathologists, medical students,
anaesthetists and surgeons about acute inflammation and operative procedures.

It would also appear that an appendix has a use of making a small number
otherwise healthy young (and occasionally old) people quite sick and killing
them if left untreated.

Medical and health science would be at a loss without the appendix (tongue
planted very firmly in cheek)...

Let's go gliding...

Dr. Michael L. Texler M.B. B.S. M.D.(Adel) F.R.C.P.A.
Consultant Pathologist