At 08:21 AM 14/03/2007, you wrote:
Hi

I am considering my options for a replacement to Alice and one possibility is to import a second hand glider from Europe or the USA.

I know there are people here who have done that and would appreciate some guidance on how best to go about this and what pitfalls exist.

tks

--
Robert Hart                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au

Do go and look at it and fly it if at all possible.

Even then you may find some things that aren't quite what they should be. Ask me about the fuel vent line repair in a Nimbus 3DM done through a 10mm hole. Problem wasn't caused by the guy who sawed the fin off and put on the larger one who carried this out according to factory instructions but by the poor design of the consequent repair to the fuel vent line. If you are going to be up for a 40 foot container on your own just put the trailer in it and buy the trailer. Makes it easy to get the glider to the container and means you don't worry about packing nearly as much.

Alternatively you may get a roll on - roll off deal and dispense with the container. Do check the trailer connections and tow hitch while you are inspecting the glider. That way you can have the correct adapter and tow ball when you pick it up at the wharf.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784