-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter
Creswick
Sent: Monday, 26 March 2007 9:03 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Jets

A good "rule of thumb" for take off calculations is

(0.7 x static thrust) / AUW, which gives acceleration in "g"
(which is a very small figure)

The 0.7 is to average thrust during the ground roll, since increasing ram
drag reduces net thrust with increasing speed, making the calculation
easier.

Then of course you have to factor in slope, rolling resistance, and
increasing aero drag and don't forget induced drag at rotation.