Thanks for making it easy.  See below.

Cheers

Mike Borgelt wrote:
At 04:32 PM 26/04/2007, you wrote:
At 03:34 PM 26/04/2007, you wrote:
My BGK (dated august 1990) refers to "Pre-landing Check" in both a sketch and the text.  Similarly, my Instructors Hand Book (dated April 1993) refers to "pre-landing checks".  I also recall the issue of always referring to "pre-landing checks" (for the very reasons now being discussed) being drummed into me during instructor training.  Can we now say that the GFA is ahead of the game?

Phil McCann
Try Gliding
<http://www.bendigogliding.org.au/>http://www.bendigogliding.org.au/

Obviously not, because of the existence of this thread. Maybe someone will figure out the lesson here.

Just to make it easy:

You are saying there is an approved nomenclature for the check. It doesn't seem to have made it to all these instructor types here.

No, I didn't mention nomenclature, I was just saying that GFA manuals and training practice suggest that we refer to any checks required to ensure everything is set up as required for landing (I don't think there is any dispute that an aircraft should be correctly set up for landing, but I may be wrong) be referred to as "pre-landing checks" to increase the possibility of them being thought about no matter what position the landing is being attempted from. Similarly, "pre-take off and pre-aerobatic checks.

Just like the wrongly rigged controls which should have been picked up by the pilot's control checks before stepping in to the cockpit. Proper procedures exist but are widely ignored or never learned or forgotten.
Just the fact that some people ignore or forget, including power pilots trained by "professional" instructors, the things they have been taught does not make the thing itself inherently wrong.

Then a new extra rule is made to prevent the inevitable accidents without trying to figure out why the original one didn't work.

I wasn't aware a new rule was being proposed, just that there has been some discussion on the topic of pre-landing checks.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784