Dion,

Caboolture GC and DDSC do visual checks outside the cockpit, checking the Airbrakes. We also have the ABC(ontrols)D prior to getting into the cockpit. We also check outside for COW in Competent crew,Obstructions and Wind as well as Options when thinking outside the cockpit in the O of CHAOTIC.
CHAOTIC

At DDSC, they have ACOW the A being Airspace as they operate in Army controlled Airspace. PeterS

Dion wrote:
Small question here, my father's an instructor, and we were talking a while ago about what people do during their checks. He said that it's amazing how many people do CHAOTIC (or equivalent) and never look outside the glider to check airbrakes, controls, etc. to make sure they're locked down or moving properly etc.

Have any other instructors seen this?

Personally, I always do my checks twice, once at the usual stage (before hookup) and once quickly whilst the tug is taking up slack, just to be sure. Not sure if anyone else does it, but I like to be safe than sorry :)

Dion.