Yes well, um... that was actually the point I was making...

Perhaps I was too subtle.

:)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark
Newton
Sent: Thursday, 24 May 2007 20:25
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Parachute repacking

Tim Shirley wrote:

> The Nationals Rules state that a parachute is mandatory equipment and
> must be worn during flight.  They do not say that the parachute must
> have a current packing slip.

They don't need to.  The GFA operational regulations say that a
parachute must be "current":

Section 11 - Parachutes
11.1. A serviceable parachute shall be worn by each occupant of a
sailplane
taking part in a GFA recognised contest.
11.2. A parachute is not considered to be serviceable unless it has been
inspected and repacked in accordance with the parachute manufacturer's
maintenance requirements.
This may be carried out by a person qualified under CAR 30 or by a
parachuting
organization approved by CASA.  Unless a shorter time interval is
specified, an
inspection is valid for six months.

So --

When the manufacturer says "8 months", the Operational Regulations
override
it and reduce it to 6.  Carrying a _serviceable_ parachute in a GFA comp
is
mandatory regardless of whether or not the rules mention it, and the
parachute is not _serviceable_ unless it meets the repacking
requirement.

The National Rules no doubt fail to mention this stuff because they
don't
need to mention it, because it's "the law of the land" whether they
mention
it or not (for pilots flying under the auspices of CASA's delegation to
GFA,
who are therefore governed by the opregs and the MOSP)

    - mark