As per my email on Thursday and mentioned this morning please book me in for
the second session.

Bernard,

Please don't get this the wrong way but I think you did your cause more harm
than good this morning. I had offered on Wednesday to break the new training
proposal (when it's matured some more) to the membership in a way that would
hopefully minimise the impact. During the day, several people approached me
to express their concern and later at the committee meeting, I was asked to
try fight the decision (or at least try to soften the blow as much as
possible). I can't blame them: if someone tells me (hand on heart) "there is
nothing for you to worry about, trust me" then I really start to worry too!
And as it is (you know that) I do worry for the sport of gliding in
Australia if this proposal is implemented as it is currently written. My
prediction is it will backfire if it is not thought through more carefully
in detail.

Let's keep operations and coaching separate. Where the instructors need more
"coaching abilities" let's try to get them around by introducing "instructor
refresher courses" (theory only to start with to make it non-threatening -
there are egos involved), "instructor weeks" (after the same recipe as the
coaching week but with instructing in mind - invite AEIs and coaches - make
it fun). After all, as you said yourself, the instructors are initially the
existing pool to draw potential coaches from.

Let's separate the GPC (and think it through from an international
perspective) from the instructing/coaching issue. One step at a time.

By all means, let's update the instructors manual (and thus restructure the
training syllabus) - it needs revamping. But let's keep the changes
manageable. One at a time.

I deal with large projects in my job. I know from bitter experience (I'm
right in the middle of one right now - read the papers about Wedgetail)
that, when people, egos, complexity and politics (not necessarily in that
order) are mixed together like in this case, they inevitably go of the
rails. I don't want to have to pick my way through a train wreck to go for a
nice summer's day's gliding - cross-country or just for a circuit. Neither
do any prospective future members. I honestly hope they won't have a chuckle
about the sailplane pilots who shot themselves in the foot as they throw
themselves off a cliff with a paraglider or switch on the ignition of a
Jabiru.

Ulrich