-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Robert
Dorning
Sent: Saturday, 3 May 2008 12:21 PM
To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Tow Planes

Dear all

I have only recently re-joined this list and hope I'm not raising a
topic which has recently been done to death.

The Gliding Club of Victoria (GCV) operates four conventional high-
hour GA-type tugs which have rising maintenance and surging avgas
fuel costs. We've decided to explore a longer-term strategic solution
to these issues to reduce launch costs for our members and head off
prohibitive launch costs. Areas to be explored include use of Light
Sport aircraft, re-engining our tugs with newer engines (eg diesel),
conventional GA types, winching and greater use of motorgliders. Of
particular interest is the useability of lighter newer aircraft for
towing in "hot & heavy" conditions.

This can't be a problem that is unique to GCV so we're keen to find
out what others have done and learnt and see how we might be able to
move some general solutions along. What groups have already tackled
these issues? What other ideas should we look at?

All ideas and comments would be welcome.

Robert