Ahh kinda reminds me of me of my commercial exams, I still don't believe 90% of the places exist.

Ben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Cleaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Decodes for area met briefings

Not so Robert

The PCA contains a map on one side with Area Forecast boundaries, HF frequencies and all the MET locations identified by code, and on the other side a complete list of these locations both by name and by code.

Some of them are IFR waypoints (eg LEYOX - which is very close to an old one called OXLEY that is in Western NSW, and GAFFA which is in the middle of nowhere - the Great Australian not-very-much) whilst others are aerodromes and others are 3 or 4 letter codes for places without an aerodrome,

Apart from the fact that these are what is used in all sorts of weather reports and forecasts, as others have said there is no reason not to use their real names (where they have one) but it will still need a map of some sort to see where they are - hence the PCA and its regular updates.

And if you think people don't need a special map for the purpose, can readers pinpoint the following without referring to a map?

                Gulargambone
                Tullibigeal
                Oodnagalarvie
                Bolivia
                Richmond - all 7 of them?
                Point Perpendicular
                Seal Rocks
                Warburton
                Cape Leveque
                Coober Pedy
(just to pick 10 location names at random)

Wombat