If you fly the State comps from DDSC, they have a defacto max start height
anyway - called Oakey airspace, usually 7,000ft

Nig

Mark Said:

"Hey, how about team flying, that would be a great idea?? It might become
fun again also."

I say, hear hear (or here here!)!  But then again, it's not much fun for the
people who don't know how to effictively team fly... Is leaching allowed
everyday though!! haha :)

My thoughts on the new start procedures, I dont see what the problem is
really.  I belive I'm one of the most determined comp pilots in Australia,
and in all my previous starts, I climb up, dordle into the start gate,
dordle out of the gate, then ease into the cruise.

Ok, reading 'winning on the wind I and II' this is inefficient, as I'd loose
20seconds on the guy who 'zoomed' through the start gate.  I call this 'good
airmanship' on my behalf though.  I've got no doubt that many start like
this too (ie, not mach2 with their hair on fire)..

What I'd like to see though, is that the start speed is above 80kts - so
that you basically dont have to think about it.

I believe that the start height limit of approx 500' below CB is a little
crazy though.  As this will have my head in the cockpit (somewhat) to ensure
that I dont get penalised.   Also, the competition scorer/CD will have to
declare what the QNH is for scoring purposes.  Then it's up to the comp
pilot to ensure that he has a servicable altimeter and calibrated logger.
Otherwise, if you get pinned - it's your fault..

At the JWGC05, I don't remember any drama's with the start line/sector,
height limit (and 2 minutes spent below it!).  I can't really remember,
though I dont remember any speed restrictions out of the line.  I think all
the juniors had their heads screwed on there, seeing as though it was
conjested at times, we'd all ease into the cruise as I said I do above.

Having said all that, I dont see too much advantage in starting at altitude
anyway.  Except that it gives the competitors who are up there a nice warm
fuzzy feeling to start the race with.  I still call that I'm 5000' above
base anyways, really sturs up/puts off the competitors that are at my height
anyway!!!!

Like I said, doesn't really bother me, I'll just play the game as the rules
say.

My two cents,
WPP

  _____

Find out: SEEK Salary Centre Are you paid what you're worth?
<http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2
Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3
A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT>