Hi All,
A little bit of time has passed since BT first raised this issue, and we now
have substantially more input. Ross's post sheds some light on the current
state of play by the NCC. Obviously I was not at the last Junior's  Pilot
Meeting, but I was certainly present at the other two meetings held in Benalla
& Temora. My recollection of the discussion at Temora is similar to that of
Robert and Jo, as already posted.

So the question that still remains unanswered by anybody is "WHY IS THIS ISSUE
BEING CONSIDERED AT ALL BY THE NCC?". Is it unreasonable on behalf of all the
competition pilots in Australia to DEMAND an answer to that question from the
NCC?

A couple of posts (Tim and Mark) intimate that these two pilots can live with (
until they are killed by),  the proposed new system. However I understand they
have never tried this system! WPP has tried (and survived) a British Junior
Worlds, using such a system, but he also states that the conditions he flew
under were very different to what we generally enjoy here in Australia. I
therefore suggest that most of his experience is not pertinent to the current
debate. (Would it be relevant/fair to state here that he is also young and
fearless?).

As I do not have any practical experience of the proposed system, I cannot make
an informed comment using that base. However like those who have given this
matter any  thought,  I can certainly envision at least some of the various
(horrific), scenarios.

In addition, I am sure that the  considered (experienced based), concerns as
expressed by  Bruce, Jim and Gerrit, on this matter, are very real. Therefore
(as at Temora), I once again say don't change the existing system, a view that
is supported by the majority of competition pilots at Temora. (We all know the
old maxim - If it aint broke . don't fix it!)

On the matter of task setting in Australia at a major comp on a day when there
is a possibility of wave being present - be it shear, or mountain (somewhat
unlikely)  generated wave - I suggest that a few operational  notes might be
put into the tasksetters' manual as  dot points, based on what has been
discussed over the last few days  - but really guys, why don't  we leave it to
the expertise of the task setting committee?

As a small aside, and perhaps somewhat off the topic, (other than an example of
expertise), I congratulate Peter Trotter and his team, on the superb job they
did last year at the Kingaroy Club/Sports Class Nationals, in what can only be
described as extremely difficult circumstances.

Gary