There has been an unbelievable amount of crap appearing on this site in recent
weeks, to the point where  at least several (maybe many)subscribers have
elected to unsubscribe as a direct result. Mark can give us the exact number
here if he so chooses.

However, let us move on.

Sir Gordon Taylor was a pioneer aviator. He was also a gifted writer. He (like
us all)  was a spiritual being.

Before considering the latter, let me first quote a little of what he wrote in
the forward to his book "The Sky Beyond"
"....but luck alone is not enough;for the Air, like the Sea, is an
uncompromising though rewarding element. It demands a certain standard of its
close associates. The price of falling below that standard can be high. The
urge always to seek and to know is strong within us and is part of the
challenge and the inspiration that keeps us flying."

In these few words Taylor:
1. Sets the scene;
2. Posts a warning;
3. Answers the question, that the GFA has pondered for years and  that is "To
whom should we direct our efforts, if we want new members?" In the last
sentence, replace the word "keeps" with "starts" and all becomes clear. The
answer is of course "to those with the urge to seek and know."

As to spirituality: let me paraphrase what Taylor next wrote:
"For far into the depths of night above the ocean....there is a vast
tranquillity filled with vivid life, a calm and certain knowledge of the most
natural immortality of which one is part with all creation. To fly in the
presence of this knowledge is a humbling but deeply significant experience
which erases all trivialities, and one returns to Earth calmly, equipped again,
if only temporarily, with a sense of spiritual fulfilment and of physical well
being."

Amen.

Gary