I'm not sure if George Augustine Taylor was related to Sir Gordon Taylor but
there is milestone coming up later this year for which the organisers are
seeking public support as per the following letter. There's a short timeline
on their request but I'm going to write a personal letter of support.

Regards,

Patrick Barfield

George Augustine Taylor created Australian aviation history on North
Narrabeen beach in 1909, with the first glider flight. On 5th December of
that year he was aboard a biplane glider when a stronger gust of wind
released the tethers from the hands of four assistants. Taylor soared free
above the sands for the first time in Australia. A re-enactment is scheduled
to be conducted on the 100th anniversary of that seminal event, at the very
same location. This was a nationally significant event that occurred through
the endeavours of a small group of passionate believers in the development
of aviation for Australia. As such, we owe those pioneers a fitting
commemoration, and one that will demonstrate to our descendents the
importance of this momumental achievement.

Warringah Council has been approached to support this Centenary event and
permit the use of Council owned land and buildings. The Organising Committee
needs sufficient public endorsement for the Council to decide favourably.

A letter of endorsement from your organisation would greatly assist our
cause. Please write a letter of support and encouragement to the Taylor
Centenary Re-enactment Trust to reach the Co-ordinator by 12th May 2009.

George Augustine Taylor was an important figure during those formative years
of Australian aviation. He had been an artist, inventor and publisher before
he opened the first aeroplane factory in Australia. In that factory they
built kites, gliders and the airframe for a powered aircraft. Taylor was
instrumental in forming the Local Government Engineers Association and the
Aerial League of Australia. His wife, Florence was Australia's first female
architect and on that December day in 1909, made a tethered flight in the
glider. She and Emma Schultz were the first Australian women to fly in a
heavier-than-air craft in Australia.

Taylor's achievements appear all the more remarkable, as his deafness and
epilepsy were considered disabilities in that era.

For any further details about this occasion, or to make a contribution,
please contact the Co-ordinator on the numbers below.

Bernie McCosker JP

Co-ordinator,

Taylor Centenary Re-enactment Trust

Box 580, Terrey Hills, NSW 2084