Hi David,

Firstly I suggest you contact Beryl Hartley, the GFA's FAI Certificates
Officer, for an explanation of what is meant by this definition.  You can
contact Beryl at hart...@avionics.com.au.  My take on it though, is that you
can declare up to three waypoints but don't necessarily have to reach them,
if you land say before one or more is reached.  Your free distance is then
measured around the points you actually did make.

In regard to your other point.  As of October 1st this year, the FAI
introduced a new version of the Sporting Code which removed cameras as a
means of verification.  They replaced cameras with a concept called a
Position Recorder, which is in essence an off-the-shelf GPS recorder
authorised by the local authority - in our case of course, the GFA.  This
has required the development of some processes to approve these things,
which are now in place and (since I'm the guy that got the job) I'm
currently working on getting the first products -  OzFlarms and miniOZ -
approved in this category.  Other devices such as Garmins could also be
approved I expect, but because of the huge variety of off the shelf products
out there I will have to consider them on application.

Bear in mind also that these "Position Recorders" are intended to replace
only cameras, and that in most cases a calibrated barograph will still be
needed.

Existing secure loggers such as Cambridge, EW, Colibri etc are still valid -
but nothing else at this moment.

If anyone wants to know more, or ask about a particular device, contact me
off list on tshir...@internode.on.net.

Please don't start an email war on this one - what's done is done.  These
are FAI's rules, not GFA's, and we are just one voice in 50 when they are
worked out.  For better or worse, we are stuck with them and trying to make
the best of it.

Cheers

Tim