From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Texler, Michael
Sent: Monday, 15 February 2010 1:30 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: [Aus-soaring] New take on Boulder mid-air....? Plus, looking out on
tow and formation flying

All I can say is (re
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2010/02/westboro_baptist_church_pla
ns.php and
http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/written/fliers/20100207_Boulder-CO-
Connecting-the-Dots.pdf):

"God bless America, because God only can...."

Wow, nothing further to see until the ATSB report...

Anyway, whilst on aerotow, there may be up to three pairs of eyeballs
available for looking out (an example of CRM perhaps).
Yes, you still have to keep station (which involves looking out as well
because you are formation flying), but you still have to look out for
other a/c too. If you have a nice long tow rope, and are in low tow, the
risk of a tug upset is lessened than if you had a short rope and were in
high tow.

Other airspace users should also know that the tug-glider combination is
less manoevurable than other light a/c, another reason for airspace
users to take heed of the double cross (gliding ops) symbol on charts.

I was also taught when power flying (by the legendary Des O'Driscoll) to
occasionally lower the nose on climb to lookout for traffic.

Without anticipating the ATSB findings, I suspect the cause of the crash
will be related to a breakdown of lookout (be it through incorrect
technique of the pilots involved or a/c in mutual blind spots).