From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Ian Mc Phee
Sent: Wednesday, 17 March 2010 7:14 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] ASIC renewal

A friend of mine carries a dayglow shirt and a clipboard in his aircraft and
dons it on the occasions when he needs fuel.  I never got around to applying
for an ASIC and last year went around airports in western NSW QLD and SA -
you just have to wander between airports or meet up with somebody with a
card.

Probably 2 years ago there was an article in AOPA mag about the stupidity of
the whole thing - they mentioned 3 places where you can get a good as real
card complete with hologram for about $30 and guess what I am sure the
crooks know that. (Remember in my youth getting a GREEN student card in Asia
and no worries with student flights Aus Union Students issued their own
useless card) Even USA is not as bad as US for small airport security.  And
what about those outback airports where the high fence goes 200m each way
from the terminal as that was the grant money from the federals.

If everyone were to send a copy of the AOPA article to their Poli with a
brief letter at least they may think again.  I have a blue card for kids
(free check) and seem to have no worries on RAAF bases so I am voting with
my feet - no Red Card for me .  It is time for a protest -Everybody with an
ASIC buy a dayglow shirt and ware that with ASIC out of sight and see what
happens!!!!

I like the words of Norm Sanders to "seek forgiveness"  rather than "ask
permission." After the third glider hit a gable marker (British invention)
he removed them and replaced them with white FLAT (USA style) markers

Ian McPhee

On 17 March 2010 12:55, Texler, Michael <michael.tex...@health.wa.gov.au>