Hi Mike,

We have speed conrol from the glider right now. Its called a VHF radio with a press to talk button on the control column and a boom mike. Calling down speeds to the winch driver is not that hard. Not perfect but we have the technolgy in most gliders. Just try and convince the GFA. They insist on all winch launch signals being given from outside the glider even though no problem with wing down aerotow retrieves. The word antedulvian springs to mind,.

Harry M.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Borgelt" <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com> To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Skynch

Doesn't have to be electric.

I've long been an advocate of putting the winch throttle in the
glider pilot's hand.
Sure beats using semaphore with the glider airframe.

Mike

At 10:39 AM 27/05/2010, you wrote:
This would be interesting, but controlling a big electric winch.
Good for weekday fliers who don't have a motor glider.
They would have to be independant operators though. Would'nt they !

<http://www.xcmag.com/2010/05/skynch/>http://www.xcmag.com/2010/05/skynch/

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com