The wing tip runner does not 'manage' the take off process - the pilot does.
There seems to be a trend whereby pilots think that the launch process is
something that is controlled by the wing-runner and they are a passive
participant - this is completely wrong. The take-off process does not happen
without the express command of the pilot. Certainly, the wing runner can stop a
launch if they see fit - the pilot can't see behind him/her which is why the
launch continues to proceed after the 'all clear above and behind' call is made
to clear the airspace. The pilot has the ultimate authority in the launch - it
s called the release knob/handle.

Over the years I've also seen a number of methods of communicating between
launch point and winch/autotow in terms of signals - flashing headlights, wings
waving up and down and signal bats. The advantage with them is that there is no
interference.

The great majority of gliders now have radios so the pilot is not out of the
communications loop - they can monitor the radio calls and if there is any
conflict, they can terminate the launch. The launch does not have to proceed
just because the wing runner is waving 'full power' - pull the yellow handle!!

I just wonder what is the reason for changing what we are presently doing? Old
and dated methods - certainly!! But I haven't yet seen anyone write that it
will make launching 'safer' which would be a prime motivator, only that we
should use the radio because we can.