Thanks for the replies, good stuff. It can be a very busy time whilst
trying to land a light a/c at a busy gliding field based on my own
experiences!

I wil talk to one of Tim's points

>1.  ERSA is a good way to discover if gliding ops are likely at a
particular airfield.

That is provided the airfield is listed in ERSA to that detail, not all
gliding fields are (e.g. YBEV is listed as an ALA, no further info).

The ERC-low (En route chart) shows the gliding and winch symbols
(provided the correct information is provided to Airservices!). The WACs
(world aeronautical charts) do not show where the gliding ops are, only
the location of airfields (not all of them are serviceable either!). Not
sure why this is, I assume because the ERC-low are updated every six
months that the information should be more current than a WAC that is
updated less often (?comments anyone?).
Hopefully in pre-flight planning, the ERC-low is used to identify any
gliding ops enroute.