On 27/08/2010, at 8:10 PM, Mal Bruce wrote:
Gliding Died a long time ago RIP

and Ian McPhee wrote:
 I am too old for all this - gone are the days of me doing
80+ aerotows. a day! I just wish others would help the cause.

I sat in a Development Seminar organised by Ann Philcox (thank you) at which Maurice Little exhorted the existing glider pilots to man the barricades, with much of the advocacy on this thread. Looking around the room, the audience was several dozen, primarily long term glider pilots, each individual there having already done all this at least once, not just the personal time, or the money subsidy, or the cross country intros, or even taking on the ever expanding list of jobs the sport 'requires' (member protection, development, finance, admin, ops, airw, sport, police checks, mandatory grounding of the fleet, and on and on)

And the look I saw on the faces was - if we keep doing the same thing, we get the same outcome. Lots of resources invested, with clubs shrinking and unable to re-equip themselves

The sport's condition I suspect is not the external interest or approach; it gives the impression of the throttling of initiative and tying ourselves up in knots comes from within the sport's own structure.