Yeah the 3m stuff is manufactured in 4' wide rolls, so theoretically it can be
split down to any width less than that! I have used type 471 in the past, but
found that it is not as flexible as other offerings, for going around complex
curves.
Bowlus is good, as is the Streifeneder tape available from Tom Gilbert.
Tesa (Germany), make a good tape for wing/aileron, wing/flap seals etc - 4651 -
but it seems Tesa Australia are reluctant to import it! - minimum order
quantity is 1 box which from somewhat hazy memory is about 36 (x 50 m), rolls.
As best I can gather, it seems to be a chicken and egg scenario re supply and
demand! These days a roll or two can probably be imported directly from Germany
with a little bit of trouble.
I relatively recently tried a sail repair tape, and whilst it did a great
sealing job, boy did I regret it when it came time  to removing that tape!
Never again! The moral here is to stick (pun) with the known, proven brands,
like the 4 above.
The ideal tape (which has not yet been invented) comes in almost any desired
width and colour; it is very thin but very strong; it is flexible; it sticks
like sh*t to a blanket, but conversely it is easily removable; it leaves no
glue residue, it does degrade under intense UV, nor become brittle with age;
and it does not discolour. Oh, and it is very inexpensive to buy - from
multiple retail outlets, all over the country, who only aim is to give YOU the
customer exceptional service!

Regards,
Gary