Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:47:13 +1100
From: Roger Druce <rogdr...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] c
To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia."
        <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>

Ben
The L'Hotellier coupling disassembles by driving out the spring roll pin
in the barrel of the coupling.  The roll pin is horizontal and from
memory a 2 mm diameter pin punch (like with Schempp-Hirth gliders) is
the tool you need to tap it out.

The piston is then extracted down the centre of the coupling, and the
rest follows.

I have not been involved in this with any variant such as where sleeves
were involved such as with the LS4's.

I am unaware of where one might get a spare replacement spring other
than by salvaging it from another unit.  But then the spring has to be
serviceable.  I guess the load test on the locking slide (with coupling
reassembled) as called for in the AD does that.  Then again I wouldn't
use one from a rejected/removed coupling with 3,000 hours on it as
springs ultimately exhibit fatigue and fail.

New L'Hotellier couplings are available from CGB Bearings in Melbourne.
But I am not sure how the standard coulpings relate to the variant with
additional sleeve.  The couplings really don't cost all that much when
compared to a lot of stuffing around with old parts.

Regards
Roger Druce