> It pays to be pro-active about cutting worn ends off the rope, removing
> extra knots, etc. Tug pilots can't do this on their own: the rope
> runner is in the best position to check the rope before hooking it on.

When we (informally) train our wing-runners we make it clear that the
rope must be free of knots before the tow commences - if we discover a
knot that has been towed on (i.e. somebody spots it during take-off)
then the general feeling is that the damage has been done, and most
pilots will request that the rope is swapped for a good one. In our
wing-runners should be checking the condition of the glider-end rings
and rope before every launch.

I think we have had around 2-3 aerotow rope breaks in the last 5 years
or so, all with open class gliders approaching max weight.

Mats