I think I was lucky, I got mine out of the way on my very first day ever
flying. 2005, I was in my course, did my 4th flight for the day (obviously with
instructor, and I was not doing the take off) and had a rope break right at the
wrong place, too low to turn around, too far down the strip to land straight on.

We had to land in the paddock on the other side of the road at the end of the
runway, fortunately it was big, ploughed and soft.

Then I got to discover the joys of derigging an IS28.

And then I got to enjoy 2 bottles of red wine with my instructor - Jim Barton.

Ahh... I was hooked :-)

Scott