'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men'

Dave

________________________________
From: emilis prelgauskas <emi...@emilis.sa.on.net>
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Wed, 13 April, 2011 10:52:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Where to sit on tow?

In a changing world, where there seems to be a presumption that
there are prescriptive single rules for everything (so that you can die 'by the
book');

it is worth occasionally reminding ourselves that the whole premise and basis
of
the sport of gliding is
that we do what is safe, including taking into account local unique factors;
where the recommended procedures that we have developed over the last 60 years
from experiences across the nation are advisory and well worth following when
they make sense,
and well worth deviating away from when they would lead you into extra dangers
which general thinking didn't take into account local circumstance.

Hence the diversity of experience and recommendations in this thread, right
down
to the tug veering off straight ahead for safety reasons when the prescriptive
rule would say bore ahead until the rules mandates a turn.

Unfortunately, there are people who do believe everything is mandatory, rather
than advisory, as a result of which every decade or so we seem to re-visit
'learning by repeating mistakes learned decades before'