Not a problem when you are <30 years of age Tom.  Get an old set of ears and
see how you go.
For me, I'd like to think pilots are flying their gliders with all their OWN
instruments focused on the job, especially when they are anywhere near me.

If it truly enhanced flying ability every comp pilot in the world would be
'plugged in'. Somehow I don't think you'll find too many admit to doing
this.

How would you feel about your instructor plugging his Ipod into his head
while training because it  "increased his focus" ?

If you were working for me, your IPOD would be elsewhere.
..........................................Just a grumpy old man talking I
suspect.

What's your aircraft Rego??  I'll keep an eye out for it.

Cheers
Mark