From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Matthew
Gage
Sent: Thursday, 19 May 2011 2:07 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] rigging - insurance question

Can anyone show me where the requirement is for an independent inspection to
have a signature in the maintenance release ?

Matt

On 19/05/2011, at 13:04 , Mike Cleaver wrote:

> Paul
>
> Most insurance companies require that all legal requirements are met in
the operation of your aircraft, and are likely to void the insurance (i.e.
refuse a claim) if they find something like a legal requirement for a second
inspection has been overlooked. The signature is the proof that a second
inspection has been done.

> Whether or not a second inspection has been well done, was physically (as
opposed to legally) necessary, or, as in the UK case, would not have found
the fault - the rules call for it so an insurance company can use this
excuse if they so choose.

> Wombat
>

> At 08:21 19/05/2011, you wrote:
>> Hi Harry
>>
>> I would agree that a second inspection is always a bonus, unless it leads
to poorer initial inspection in the hope that the second inspection is
likely to catch the omissions from the first inspection.
>> However I do not think that is the problem some people have in this
thread. It is the liability that their signature may expose them to. One
could argue, that if a second inspection is done well, it would prevent any
legal troubles down the road. However the Foka incident shows otherwise -
some faults with rigging are not able to be seen.
>> That being said, what is the penalty if there is no second signature on
the DI (after rigging). Does the pilot / club loses their insurance?
>> Personally, when asked I do the second inspection and supply my
signature. Why, one would ask, well that is simple, sometimes I require a
second signature when I rig my glider, so to withhold mine would seem rather
selfish. If everyone took the attitude that they will not provide the second
inspection and their signature it would bring the club system to a disarray.

<<mailto:hw.medlic...@optusnet.com.au>hw.medlic...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> Hi All
>>
>> As a very early solo pilot I hired a glider at a professional
>> operation. the glider was on the launch point.
>> I started todo my walk around check but was told ithe glider was OK and
the tug was waiting.
>> Did it anyway. On touching the elevator found the horisontal
>> tailplane moved freely up and down 50/75 mm at the <http://tip.it>tip.it
had not been connected properly.