From: Adam Woolley <aussiejuniort...@hotmail.com>
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Monday, 8 August 2011 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Team flying - what is it worth?

Untitled Document
Sadly the Australian competition scene isn’t strong enough to uphold what
I’m about to suggest, so I know it wont happen (until we can get back to the
100+ regular entrants again).

The Nationals is just that, the
nationals.  Not a kindergarten or beginners comp, or a place we go to fold
envelopes.  A Nationals.  I say, if you don’t like the heat –
then get out.  Since meeting Dave McManus and becoming best mates, my life
long ambition is to represent Australia, and see Dave win World Gliding
Championships.  Me, I’m happy with 2nd place – which in effect is also a
win.  Dave strengths are in inter-thermal cruising, mine are in the
climbs.  Yes, Dave and I can practice these skills on weekends, but what’s
important is to practice against other effective teams (and great solo pilots)
under pressure.  Not weekend soaring pressure, but competitions where we’re
forking out a few thousand dollars – to make it real!

Winners can also be solo pilots too, absolutely – many have done this, and
against amazing teams.  Kawa against the red hot GER’s (Mario Kiessling and
Michael Buchthal) at the SK WGC last
year.  Edwards in Uvalde!  plenty to mention.  I just wish I
could be this good!

If the team hasn’t got a special bond like the three young Brits @ the
JWGC’05, whom placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd, or like Dave and I.  Then the ‘team’
is destined to ... (or should I say, not get on the podium).  I can’t
believe we send solo pilots to worlds that say they’re going to team fly, it
spells disaster right from the start.  Quite often these solo pilots are
from opposite sides of our massive country, which almost have no opportunity to
practice.  Dave and I flew 200hrs in team formation (plus 2 x DUO flights)
before going to the UK.  In the end, we practiced so much that if we had a
comm failure (which we actually encountered three days before the end of the
jnr
worlds), we could team fly without talking on the radios!  Having said all
that, I’d be more happy to sponsor a team if they said, “We’ll co-operate and
pass on information daily, however we’ll be flying our own race once the start
gate opens”.  Which is exactly how the jnr STD Class team for GB is going
to go this year, as they’ve identified that if they fly as a team – the overall
result will be worse.

In AUS though, if we did allow team flying again – as Tim said, ‘the
Nationals fleet dwindle again’.  Which is ultimately what all of us don’t
want to happen.  So sadly, for the next 5 or so years – I have to support
the ‘no team flying’ argument.

In the ideal AUS gliding world of course, I’d say no team flying in the
Regatta’s (unless it’s a purpose run team comp!), Easter Comps and States.
Team flying (max three to a team) allowed in the Nationals.  Don’t like the
heat, then get out – we’re not here to fold envelopes!

Cheers,
WPP