Hi Robert

I note that the Nimbus 2 has a handicap equivalent to an ASW20. The Nimbus
4DM has the same handicap as an ASG29.

ROSS

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Robert Hart
Sent: Thursday, 18 August 2011 7:46 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Handicaps

On 17/08/11 21:14, Michael Durrant wrote:

Folk,

Having now had the oppurtunity to fly a competitive Std class glider FQF
(LS8) after many years campaigning GOD (19M Jantar) in the one class you
could fly (Sports Class) with any hope of a competitive result,  I would ask
that if there is any review underway of Sports Class handicaps that based on
empirical evidence alone, the older Open/19M class gliders handicaps in that
class be reviewed.

The low wing loading benefit on very weak days does not compensate for the
loss incurred on the average competition day in Australia for these gliders
given the way the polar drops off at normal cruising speed, especially given
our current tasking approach which rarely, if ever, tests the book ends of
the day when there might be some advantage for these gliders.

Given LS8/18 (0.895 handicap) performance on both strong and weak days, the
relative handicaps applied to the Jantar 19M (0.910), Nimbus 2 (.90) etc are
a joke...........based on my personal experience.

As a pilot of such a 30 year old open class glider, I would say that my
experience of the handicapping across the board (ballasted and unballasted)
for older gliders needs review.

As I understand it, the handicaps are related almost exclusively to wing
the wings are very similar, this is not so when we are talking about
intergenerational changes in aerodynamics.

Even a passing perusal of the polars of recent gliders shows very
significant performance gains of gliders from the 1980s, which have
significant performance gains over the early glass ships such as the Nimbus
2.

If the aim of handicapping is to try to create a more level playing field to
allow the skill of the pilot to shine through, then this issue needs to be
addressed.

If that is not the aim of the handicapping system could someone please
explain why we have a handicapping system at all?

--
Robert Hart                                  ha...@interweft.com.au
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au