From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of John
McFarlane
Sent: Monday, 24 October 2011 10:49 AM
To: p...@kurstjens.com; 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in
Australia.'
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Cessna 182P tug

Hi Pam,

You can install a hook via two processes:

1.       Purchase a Hook installation with a Supplemental Type Certificate
(STC) from a vendor(Tost, Schweitzer) - comes with everything you need and
is a log book entry if installed as per the vendors instructions.  STC
issuing authority really needs to be FAA or EASA to be accepted. Once in
your hand, with the parts, you can just have your LAME install.

2.       Cobble up something that doesn't coming from Item one and go
through the CASA approval process, including CAR 35 design authority, P
Charts etc.  Historical Approvals are ok, but if the history you choose is
not from an Approved install then that owner may not be too happy as CASA
may review their install and refuse to accept this as acceptable for yours.

An STC is the easiest road to travel, costs are known.  Option 2 can be
easy, hard, cheap and expensive and very time consuming.  The joy of the STC
is that has all been done by the vendor, they will however be seeking to
recoup these costs through the purchase price of their product.

Regards

John