HI Peter,

It was 2 years ago in a club aircraft.  See another post this evening from
me re this.

I'm a VFR plane pilot - flarm has limited usefulness to myself.  I work with
high end IT as a profession - Technology in my hobby is something that I
just don't bother with after battling with it week on week.

I was sufficiently rattled by the experience to worry about running around
finding cables, downloading files and find a net connection to play with an
app I really don't want to use.

Btw what would the GFA done with this?  "Look out the window when flying" -
that's what the CAR's mandate.  They certainly wouldn't have reviewed the
product performance favourably, and may have chosen to look at how insidious
technology can be at refocusing SA to other areas - deemed more important by
the biological computer at the time - with the resulting findings and
changes to standards etc etc etc.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for using tools to increase information for
making relevant decisions, but they also have to be relevant in policy ,
procedure, effect and for everyone - not just pockets of users because the
price and performance is adequate to them.

I made the comment earlier, unless some smart people are allowed to
contribute in a technical and supported manner  in creating a common
accepted standard/system - across all users of the "airspace"(important
point that) - one of the technologies today is going to do an imitation of
the Betamax video.  It goes along the lines of this:

A REX flight today had a Mid Air accident at Mildura, luckily the REX flight
landed with no harm to the Passengers or Crew. The plane was substantially
damaged and will require repairs.  The passengers suffered a 4 hour delay
whilst another plane was ferried to assist. The pilots where heard to remark
"We just didn't see anything on our instruments (TCAS) and it doesn't look
like it was a bird. ATSB is investigating.

In other news the sole pilot of a glider died today after crashing 20 Km's
south of Mildura at Carwarp, Police and the Coroner have been notified

Now who's system is going to be favoured here after the cause is
determined....?

Cheers

John