Some observations.

> of the 2000 sailplaners across Australia are just flying for fun for
themselves. They risk themselves (having had that conversation no doubt
with loved ones) often in a sailplane they own

Fair enough if the activity doesn't hurt anyone else.
I guess to paraphrase, "If a tree falls in a forest, does anybody hear
it?"
We using someone else's glider, or carrying other non-pilots, flying
over a township etc. it would seem prudent (as it is a legal
requirement) to be fit to fly

>So you're saying it's no different from driving, then?

That's if one is prepared to accept the risk of a healthy driver
suddenly becoming incapacitated by a de-novo (new onset) medical event
and causing the death/injury of another road user.

This argument is used by people to counter regular health checks for
drivers (i.e. there will be always someone who slips through the net so
why bother). Nevertheless health checks can hopefully identify and treat
those with health problems to lessen the risk of them becoming
incapacitated.