From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Staniforth
Sent: Saturday, 19 May 2012 2:19 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] self declared fitness

Many medically-induced aviation accidents have happened to pilots holding
current medical certificates, just as there have been failures of aircraft
systems after a major inspection.

  More points of reference from another land.

The FAA are considering using the drivers licence instead of a medical for
private pilots.

Exercising private privileges in powered aircraft in the USA currently
requires a class 3 medical, valid for 24 months.

If your last medical was failed, you cannot legally make the medical
statement for LSA or Glider.

Similar to the 3rd class medical, pilot reviews are done every two years. A
BFR in glider serves as a BFR in Single Engine, or vice versa.

Jim

  _____