Stuart,

The eagle doesn't need to look at his vario. His ears detect the pressure changes caused by climb and descent. There is also some conjecture that some soaring birds can detect the nearby presence of thermals by the infrasound (sound at frequencies lower than 20 Hz) generated. Hmmmm..... maybe that explains why they fly near " wind turbines" aka taxpayer wallet extraction machines.

No humans are "born with wings" even figuratively. We're slightly modified, slightly more intelligent monkeys (descended from ancestors who could tolerate the ethanol in fermenting fruit that had fallen on the ground according to some recent thinking, which explains a lot - we're descendents of drunken monkeys) and it is slightly fortuitous that we can actually fly aircraft at all.

Mike