Roger,

I'm not sure about the definition, (and it is five years since I flew a
nationals so not sure I qualify) but I believe that a good Relative Netto
averager in cruise is crucial. Preferably with a numerical display to one
decimal place, 20 second average (an S-nav was my preference but others will be
fine too).

I have a view, for what it is worth, that we instruct thermal technique (some
instruct it better than others) but there is little or no instruction on cruise
technique. I mean the optimisation of cruise to maximise cross country speed
not the basics. This is one element in a bigger picture.

The relative Netto averager was on my home screen, switching to TE for
thermalling. I had it switch based on GPS heading change. All possible in a
25yo S-nav with 12-13yo firmware upgrades connected to a GPS-nav. The averager
was part of my scan, and I would recall trends and fine tune subtle direction
changes to pursue rising trends. I had to be really current to do this well,
but it isn't as clumsy as I write it - it was automatic, a situational
awareness thing. I developed this technique after flying with Georgio Galetto
in a Duo one day (more piecing fragments of advice together, but he insisted on
using Relative Netto average too). I have heard others use terms like "energy
line" but that sounds too BS for me.

Of course, this information is academic if you aren't skilled at the rest - and
it must not compromise lookout. And if there is a big fat cu ahead, concentrate
on where you think the best lift is under it. And if there is another glider
cruising nearby, use them as a reference (best indication of another part of
the airmass, that is why team flying works). However it worked well for me when
racing alone on a few blue days.....

Cheers

Bruce

Sent from my iPad