Hi Gary,
Thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts, I've responded inline:

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM,  <gstev...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> Enjoyed your article. I have contacted you via Aus-Soaring, as there may be
> a valuable discussion thread here.
>
> Whose idea was it to take a group photo in front of a crowd photo? Somewhat
> Daliish, or perhaps more like something Woody Allen would do?
The idea was to just get a photo with as many of us on the podium as
possible (the final goal!). The background picture was unintentional.

> Can you please name everybody in this group shot? In time, it might prove to
> be historically valuable. Brian Hayhow is mentioned, but I do not see him.
> Am I missing something?
Can't help you with that as my AG isn't here yet (moved house) so I'm
not sure which photo they used. Bryan was probably taking the photo if
he's missing ;)
Off my head, Matthew Scutter, Andy Maddocks, Nick Maddocks, Ben
Talbot, Jess Stauss, Claire Scutter, Sam Schoneveld, Ailsa McMillan,
Nat Shearer, Peter Conway, Michael Conway, Laura Sullivan, Troy Lane,
Peter Trotter, Lisa Trotter, Bryan Hayhow. I've inevitably missed a
couple but they're eluding me at the moment. Perhaps someone else can
fill in.

> Were the under 20 Woman basketballers tall? Being the AIS, I know that they
> attend to detail. For example basketballers staying there sleep in specially
> made beds to suit their height! However each participants' cell is large
> enough to cope with these giant beds. BTY, as far as I know they are all
> single beds!
Yep! And their volleyballer friends were even taller. Only single bunk
beds in the rooms I saw. Not luxury but certainly liveable.

> Yeah, recovery is very important. It would seem that you totally missed the
> availability of the AIS Sauna. In my opinion an essential piece of kit in
> any club that is serious about looking after its XC pilots! With one of
> these, you do not have to worry about fiddling with the hot and water taps!
> I am sure that for the silver tongued, grants might be available for the
> initial Sauna installation, but I have no idea on operating costs. However I
> suspect that these might be horrendous. Comments please.
The sauna was mentioned a couple of times in our talks, and we were
shown some pictures of it (no ordinary sauna!). I think I mentioned in
the article how to make a 'poor mans' sauna for a similar effect by
alternating the hot and cold taps in the shower as much as you can
bear.

> Interesting that you  mention a comparison with motorsport. Maurie Bradley
> (who incidentally, as National Coach at that time, originally set up the
> first visits to the AIS), liked to draw a comparison with marathon runners.
> You mention doing weighing to measure water consumption. You do not have to
> do this. If you started a flight with 5 law of drinking water and ended with
> 3 law left, then it is quite obvious that you consumed 2 law! This means
> nothing!
It's not obvious how much you sweated (or otherwise..) out though, is
the point. If you've lost any measurable amount of weight you're
susceptible to reduced performance from dehydration. I have the exact
figures of weight loss vs expected loss of cognitive function in my
notes somewhere, I'll try and dig them out.

> However, among the many things that Maurie did to advance our sport (almost
> certainly for the first time anywhere in the world), was that he did a great
> deal of actual weighing of competition pilots, before and after a flight.[In
> passing, I might mention that he also fitted out - generally the same pilots
> who agreed to being weighed - many pilots with a heart rate monitor. It
> would seem reasonable that these would give a level of stress, when
> correlated against the pilots verbal report. (and maybe GPS data - this may
> have been before GPS was available???) Anyway, under stress, glider pilots
> routinely recorded heart rates of well over 200 .Personally, I do not find
> this surprising.
I've flown with a heart rate logger (built into my pulse-oxymeter) a
couple of times for wave flying, always interesting to watch. Too much
of a distraction for me during XC though, perhaps a more discreet
logger would be better.

> Re weight loss, what Maurie found out was that inevitably, there was a
> significant daily weight loss of pilots flying in competitions. Ann Woolf ,
> can you give us more detail? I am sure that Maurie must have published this
> data, and of major importance, the conclusions he drew.
>
> Matthew, what you must understand is that in this weighing, a set of
> bathroom scales WILL NOT DO. Maurie used scales that measured to within a
> few grams. Obviously these scales cost a whole lot more than everyday
> bathroom scales. A figure that springs to mind is $400 at the time. However
> I am prepared to be corrected on this.
Certainly you'd want something that reads more accurately than 50g -
perhaps the same scales used for weight and balances would be
appropriate.

> After Maurie died, I enquired as to the whereabouts of these scales. I first
> contacted Cath Conway and then Bernard Eckley , both being RTO Sports SA
> around this time. Each denied having the scales, although knowing about
> them. It is highly unlikely that the scales were sent to the local tip. So I
> wonder where these scales ended up? Who has a VERY accurate set of bathroom
> scales?
No idea.